Monday, July 1, 2013

S'Mores Stuffed French Toast

Break-ssert: S'Mores Stuffed French Toast

Normally I would start my blog post with what I hope is a fairly mouth-watering picture to make you want to continue reading or viewing the recipe blog post.  This time, however, due to an afterthought, since I only have one picture, I will share it at the end of this post.  Really, I had no intention of blogging this recipe at this time, but it turned out so well, I decided to post it, anyway.  Here is what I did:
 
My family and I have loved having breakfast for dinner ever since I can remember.  I had been toying with the idea of breakfast for dinner, but in a delicious dessert kind of way.  I have been craving S'mores for a long time, and decided to incorporate breakfast and dessert, and call it, oddly, "break-ssert".  I know, I can hear the groans now.  Sorry. 
 
But, when you have that odd desire to want both breakfast and dessert simultaneously, this is such an easy and quick way to get your cravings fix.  Here's the ingredients starting line-up:
 
8 slices of sweet french bread (to feed two people, four slices per person)
6 eggs, beaten, sprinkled with cinnamon 
half a stick of butter + a two tabs of butter
1/4 cup milk (I used almond milk for a richer taste)
1/2 cup mini marshmallows
1/2 cup Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips
6 graham crackers, cut into 1/4-inch wide sticks
1 cup of water
 
 I am quite sure my "what to do" section can be reworked to be more efficient and the recipe better in myriad ways.  As I said, I had not intended to blog this today, as I plan to refine my ideas, but, again, it was so delicious, I want to share it with my gentle readers!
 
On a large plate with a well or slight depression, Beat six eggs and sprinkle it with ground cinnamon. 
 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  In a shallow baking pan or sheet, add a tab of butter and allow the oven to melt it.  Spread the butter around the bottom of the pan.  
 
Over high heat, use two sauce pans or a double-boiler to bring to heat a tab of butter, the quarter cup of milk and the half cup of mini marshmallows.  Melt the marshmallows only about half way, so as to retain some of the marshmallow's original texture. Remove from the heat and set aside. 
 
Cut the graham crackers in to quarter inch sticks.  Set aside.
 
In a large skillet, melt the half stick of butter over medium-high heat. 

Dip two slices of the sweet french bread in the beaten eggs.  Sometimes milk is added to the eggs, but I did not do that this time.  Just my preference.  When thoroughly coated, add the two slices to the skillet and allow three to four minutes per side and remove the to the baking pan.  Take one piece of the french toast and spread the half melted marshmallow spread over the bread slice.  Top that with six or seven graham cracker sticks, leaving a quarter inch between sticks, so the marshmallow spread can ooze over the sticks. Sprinkle some of the chocolate chips over the sticks, top with the other slice of french toast, and return the baking pan to the oven to melt the chips and continue to crisp up the toast.   

Repeat until all four S'mores french toast sandwiches are in the oven.  

I served my mom's with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (her favorite) and sprinkled it with a few more of the chocolate chips.  And by all means, if half a cup is not enough, use more!  Who am I to regulate such goodness? 

Alright, alright, here's the picture!


 
  Seriously, thirty minutes or less.  Can you really resist this?

Enjoy folks!  And Thank You, as Always, for viewing!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...