Saturday, January 11, 2014




Verde Chicken Tacos

Alright, it had been a really long day, I was exhausted, but I wanted tacos and I wanted something with verde sauce, a green chili sauce, so I decided to go semi-homemade.  Okay, mostly not homemade.  As I began chopping a yellow onion, as well as roasting a serrano chili pepper along with pasilla chile powder, dried oregano, coriander and cumin seeds, I realized that this could easily become a college foodie recipe.  This simple recipe launched my foodie mind into full gear; how parents can help their kids eat healthy semi-homemade meals so the students have very little prep time and a lot of eating time. We all know that kids would rather pull something out of a bulk box and microwave it rather than spend time actually cooking, particularly if they are in a dorm with only a microwave.  I think I have the answer to that, but, more on that later!  Let's get back to this extremely simple yet potentially college foodie recipe.  

Not only could this be a college foodie, a single person, guy or gal, recipe, but a family recipe to throw together on a weeknight when everyone has had a very busy, tiring day.  Like mine had been. Here's my starting line-up:

Ingredients
1 package chicken tenders
1 yellow or red onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
1 serrano chile, seeded, ribbed and finely chopped
1 can roasted, diced anaheim green chiles (4 ounces)
4 ounces verde sauce (canned or bottled)
2 teaspoons smoked pasilla chile powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
1 tablespoon dried oregano
salt and pepper
evoo, about three tablespoons

You do not have to do this, but I roasted the finely chopped serrano, pasilla and chipotle powder, cumin and coriander seeds and the oregano until they became aromatic.  Your nose will tell you after about four minutes.  Roasting helps bring out the flavors and essential oils that bring incredible, smoky flavor to the dish. 

Slice the chicken into bite-sized slivers or chunks.   Mix together the roasted seeds, herb and powders and halve.  Add the evoo to a hot skillet over medium-high heat.  When the oil begins to ripple, add the chicken and saute'.  After a couple of minutes, as the chicken has begun to gain golden color, add half of the seasoning and a little salt and pepper, and stir to coat the chicken thoroughly.  Cook for another three minutes or so, then add the onion, garlic and the roasted serrano.

When the onion begins to soften and lose its solid color, add the diced roasted anaheim chile and the verde sauce.  Stir thoroughly, then bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and allow to simmer partly uncovered for fifteen to twenty minutes.  


Some of the ingredients.

 
I apologize for this blurry photo.  All of the ingredients are brought to a boil, then allowed to simmer.

After about twenty minutes, having stirred the mixture now and then, the loose fluid has been reduced and a thicker, aromatic mixture remains.  Reduce a few more minutes over medium heat, then serve in your favorite tortillas with your favorite cheese and condiments.  It had been a late night for me, and I did not have any condiments on hand.  If I had, I would serve it with torn or chopped cilantro and finely slivered radish. Serve your way, and enjoy!
 
Thank You for your time and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...