Tuesday, October 21, 2014


Verde Turkey Meatball Sammy

Hello Friends!  Thank You for viewing part two of my Verde Chile Chili and Turkey Meatball Sammy combination posts.  Sunday morning found me working diligently in my kitchen, roasting two poblano chiles, two anaheim green chiles, a serrano, a whole yellow onion, quartered and three whole cloves of garlic.  I pureed them together in a little extra virgin olive oil with fresh cilantro and salt and pepper.  It was an amazing, smoky aromatic blend.  Here is how I used it to make Verde Turkey Meatballs. 

Turkey Meatball Ingredients:
 1 pound ground turkey
 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
 1 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed 
 1 teaspoon crushed dried Mexican oregano
 1/2 cup my Verde Chile salsa
 1 egg




 
I did not add salt and pepper to the ground turkey because I had already added salt to the Verde Chile Salsa.  Now, we normally add a little milk and bread crumbs to turkey to moisten it up, as turkey can run dry, but I added the Verde Chile Salsa, which added a lot of moisture to the ground turkey.  The egg certainly helped keep it all together.  

I took an ice cream scoop, and took a small scoop of turkey meat and rolled it into a little ping-pong sized meatball, passing it between the palms of my hands like handmade tortillas are patted between hands, back and forth, and then placed it into a mini muffin tin I'd sprayed with non-stick spray.  By-the-way, the oven was preheated to 375 degrees.  


 I baked the meatballs in a baking sheet so any run-off drippings could be caught.  This worked out well.  Baking in the cups allowed the meatballs to relish in their own juices and that of the Verde Salsa, so the whole process was an aromatic happy time.  

On Monday, I halved the meatballs, halved a foot-long whole wheat roll, brushed it with a little evoo with garlic and toasted the roll halves.  In a small bowl, I added 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt, a teaspoon of sriracha, salt and pepper and a teaspoon of Verde Salsa, and mixed thoroughly to make a spread.  This was sooo good!  I placed the sauce on the bread, top and lower part, placed Oaxaca cheese chunky slices on the bottom part of the roll, the hot meatballs atop that and fresh torn cilantro atop that and closed up the roll.  So good!!!!  I served it with a side bowl of my Verde Chile Chili and it was a match made in my heavenly little kitchen. 



Hope you make this with love and enjoy!
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. oh look how lovingly prepared they are and I love that you baked them in cupcake holders... genius!

    ReplyDelete

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...