Thursday, October 9, 2014



Garlic, Rosemary Gnocchi
It is no secret that I am a burger, taco, pizza and meats guy, but that comfort zone does not stop me from trying new recipes.  I had been knocking around the idea of making gnocchi with friends, but I had this indelible fear of trying out a recipe. With a cookbook recipe in hand, I decided to do it alone.  Solo.  If I was going to mess it up, I was going to do it alone. Thankfully, I saw that Chef Adam Hinojosa, an incredibly talented chef in San Francisco, a chef who has been such an inspiration to me and whom I follow on Twitter, had posted his own gnocchi-making episode. Chef's work was impeccable.  The photos looked as though they should they should grace the cover of food magazines.  So, armed with Chef's advice and recipe tips in hand, I ventured into the land of gnocchi.  

Chef Adam's ingredients ratio:

4 ea potatoes, whole, not peeled
2 ea eggs, whole
3 cups four
Nutmeg (dusting)
salt
pepper

Bring one large pot of water to a boil.  Salt and add the washed whole, unpeeled potatoes.  Allow to boil until just softened. Remove the potatoes and allow to cool before handling.  Once cool, remove the potato skins.  Set up your work area, including either a large cutting board or clean flat surface, a large bowl and your ingredients set out for use.  

I decided to include fresh rosemary, 2 sprigs, finely chopped, and 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped.   


Following the ration, to the large bowl, I added the potatoes and mashed the potatoes liberally, until they were smooth.  I added the eggs and flour an egg and cup at a time.  I also added the garlic and rosemary a little at a time, along with the salt, pepper and nutmeg.  Once all of the ingredients had been combined, I rolled out the dough onto a well-floured surface.  The mixture is sticky and needs the flour in order to be manipulated like a dough.  

After rolling the dough into a large log, I divided it into four equal parts.  Covering the others with a moist paper towel, I rolled each part into a long one-inch rope.  I repeated that process until I had four ropes.  I cut each of them into one-inch lengths.  


Gnocchi sections and rope.


The rope cut into one-inch pieces. 

I do not have one of those wooden gnocchi rollers that rounds and adds those beautiful sauce-catching grooves, so I used my fork.  In the process of cooking, the grooves seem to have disappeared, but, they did not with Chef Adam's.  His were perfect.  I must practice.  I am always up for a challenge!  Back to business:  once you have all of the ropes processed and cut, store them on baking sheets over parchment or waxed paper, completely covered until cooking time.  
My fork-grooved gnocchi before cooking in a baking sheet on parchment paper.  

Meanwhile, I brought 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large high-sided sauce pan and salted the water liberally.  I placed a few gnocchi at a time into the water using a spider.  They cook in only about a minute.  Once they float to the surface, remove them with a slotted spoon or spider and place on a plate with a little evoo drizzled.  Just enough to keep them from sticking.  

Gnocchi can be served with any number of sauces:  tomato-based, creamy or butter.  I chose a nice brown-butter rosemary sauce with crushed red pepper flakes, flat leaf Italian parsley and fresh rosemary. 


This was a wonderful experience and I completely appreciate the tutiledge of Chef Adam Hinojosa.  You can follow Chef Adam on Twitter @I_am-chefadam.  

Thank You for your time and consideration!  This recipe will impress your family and friends.  FANtastic autumn recipe.  Enjoy!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...