Saturday, December 27, 2014





 Charcuterie Breakfast Pizza


Sometimes you wake up and you just want something that is a combination of all of the things you are craving.  Back when I was a kid, breakfast Monday through Friday was cereal.  On the weekends, my mom would make us bacon and eggs.  Sometimes waffles, and sometimes pancakes.  Fridays and Saturdays were Mexican food or pizza, go-to or take out.  My dad loved Mexican food, so we often went out to his favorite places Friday nights. I love pizza and I love bacon and eggs, so one morning the week of Thanksgiving, I woke up and wanted it all, so I made This, what I call my Charcuterie Breakfast Pizza. This is an easy to prep and easy-bake meal.  And yes, when you see the photos, you will see that I over-baked it a little.  I am over it. 

I did not go all-out and make my own homemade pizza dough. No. My cravings were stronger than waiting 24 hours or so for pizza dough.  I bought a roll out whole wheat square pizza dough from the store.  I always spray my baking pan with non-stick spray when I use this type of dough, rather than dust it with flour or corn meal, as it has a tendency to stick, anyway.  I used my thumbs to press down, almost poke the pizza to make ridges to catch cheese and hold the ingredients. Here's a list of items I'd used:

 1 charcuterie package containing coppa, prosciutto, salami and diced pancetta
1/2 pint of grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
8 eggs, fried to half done, and seasoned with Italian seasoning during the frying process
2 sprigs fresh oregano
Fresh basil for garnish
Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Prep.  I fried up the eight eggs, sprinkled Italian seasoning stop them,  and let them rest on a bed of paper towels to catch the butter I'd fried them in until I needed them again.  I layed out the charcuterie meats on a cutting board.  I'd crisped up the pancetta in the same skillet and set aside, also on paper towels. I set aside the cheese in a bowl, and halved the grape tomatoes, also placing them in a bowl. 

I added a small sprinkling of the extra virgin olive oil over the pizza dough and spread it out over the baking sheet I'd sprayed with evoo non-stick spray. I sprinkled a little mozzarella atop the pizza dough and pre-baked the dough about four minutes at 425 degrees.  I removed the pizza dough and generously topped the dough with cheese.  I created nests with the cheese and prosciutto and placed the eggs in the nests.  I added the cubed, seared pancetta atop the pizza. I arranged the halved cherry tomatoes about the pizza evenly.  Note:  I saved the salami in a plastic baggie for future use.  I sprinkled some Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper flakes over the pizza and sprinkled some of the fresh oregano over it.  

I baked the pizza for eighteen minutes (turned out to be 22 minutes, as I'd gotten side-tracked, ergo the extra crusty crust) and removed it from the baking sheet.  I'd garnished it with fresh basil, part for photo ops, but later for eating.  Delish!  I also sprinkled more fresh oregano leaves from my potted patio garden.  Love oregano!  

The following is a photo essay of the pizza.  Enjoy! 




Don't you wish you had smellaphone or smellaputer???  Yes, it smelled That Good!




I hope you have enjoyed this post!  Prep time is about twenty minutes, bake time is about twenty minutes, so about 40-50 minutes altogether!  Great to feed 4 to 6 people, Easy. Thanks for viewing and reading!!!
Now, go cook something!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...