Monday, December 29, 2014





Cheesy Herb and Tomato Fritatta with Pancetta

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day - in most cases - and I love to make it a good one for family and friends.  A frittata is a perfect way to please the light eater as well as the meat eater.  Here is one of my fritattas, and, as my loyal readers know, I have several other recipes on the blog.  Please browse and enjoy!  Here is my recipe for my Cheesy Herb and Tomato with Pancetta fritatta.  

Starting Line-Up: 
6 - 8 eggs
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
3 green sprigs fresh oregano
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
Scallion greens, slivered
1 tablespoon finely grated parmigiano-reggiano
1 tablespoon shaved parmigiano-reggiano
 salt and pepper
3 tablespoons diced pancetta, crisped
2 tabs butter
1/4 red onion, slivered
red bell pepper, slivered
4 cherry tomatoes, halved 
1-2 cloves garlic, grated

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Prep the scallions, tomatoes, herbs, onion and cheese and set aside.  Add the two tabs of butter, or, if you prefer, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to an oven safe omlette skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced pancetta to the skillet and crisp.  I like to add a little garlic to it, but that is just me. Set aside for the end.

Meanwhile, crack and whisk the eggs in a large bowl.  Add a pinch of salt, but only a pinch, as the crisped pancetta will add greater salt content later, and fresh ground black pepper.  Gently pour the egg mixture into the skillet, reduce the heat to medium and allow the egg mixture to begin to solidify around the edges and bottom. 

Arrange the fresh oregano green sprigs as you like along with the sprinkling the fresh thyme leaves, garlic, peppers, tomatoes and the Italian seasoning around the fritatta. I like to arrange the red onion in a cyclical manner because, well, pretty. In addition, add the finely grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese at this time. 




 Note:  This is a photo of my practice dish, and I did not arrange the onions and peppers and tomatoes in this practice dish like I had in the final product.  I must have deleted the final oven-ready fritatta.  My apologies!!!

Use a heat safe spatula and run it along the perimeter of the fritatta to loosen it up from the skillet.  Place the skillet into the oven for ten to fifteen minutes, depending on how many eggs you used.  Six large eggs, eight smaller eggs. 

Once the fritatta is done, and although you will want to set your oven timer for ten or twelve minutes, your nose will certainly tell you when it is done.  Once allegedly done, stick a toothpick in the center.  If it comes out clean - just like brownies or a cake - it is done; if not, another three to five minutes.

Remove the skillet from the oven and allow to cool a few minutes.  Place the shaved parmesan atop the fritatta along with fresh halved cherry or grape tomatoes and the long scallion slivers.   Add the crisped pancetta to the center, however you wish, actually, and enjoy!




 Thank You, gentle readers, for your time and consideration! Hope you enjoy this recipe and now, get into your kitchen and cook something!

 
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...