Friday, June 19, 2015



Flatbread Pizza with Sopressata and Egg

As a teacher, I get paid once a month.  I oftentimes need to stretch a buck.  I have become quite adept at making pantry meals work.  I have learned to purchase pita bread and flatbread or Naan packages and freeze for those evenings when I just do not want to put forth great effort into cooking, but, I want something really good. THIS, my friends, is one of those meals. Those of you not new to my humble, little blog know that I LOVE sopressata, a spicy Italian thinly sliced sausage. I also threw in on one of the two pizzas I made, a few Spanish Chorizo slices; I'd only had a scant few slices left over. 

Here is the run-down:

Preheat the oven to 400-degrees. 

Have at the ready whatever your favorite or on-hand cheeses are.  Since I am mostly off of yellow oil-based cheeses, though I desperately love them, which I why I am taking a break from them as they love me too much, I used mozzarella and jalapeno jack cheeses, which are what I had on hand. I added about three tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (evoo) to a small bowl, added a fully crushed garlic clove to infuse the oil with flavor and let it set for a few minutes. 

Next, I set aside the following (some are repeated):
Mozzarella cheese
eight slices of sopressata
four slices of Spanish chorizo (all I had left)
4 sprigs of fresh oregano from my potted patio garden 
4 sprigs fresh thyme (also from my garden, finely chopped)
2 eggs
fresh ground black pepper
1/2 a small red onion, thinly slivered
3 cloves garlic, sliced into chips
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil with one crushed clove garlic added, set aside
 2 tablespoons jalapeno olive oil
 I simply brush a flat bread with the garlic infused evoo, top with the onion slivers and garlic chips, cover that with a half cup or so of mozzarella and rolled up or folded sopressata slices. I bake it for four minutes. 

Meanwhile, in a skillet, I add the jalapeno olive oil over medium-high heat.  I break two eggs into the skillet when hot. I fold the runny egg whites back toward the yolk gently with a spatula and gently cook until the whites are soft but done.  I remove the flatbread pizza and top with the egg and allow it to bake another four minutes.  Eight minutes, total, is all it needs. 

I garnish the flatbread pizza with fresh oregano and thyme and the black pepper. 




 Twins!

And, cut and ready for service!

  This is a non-painful, easy thirty-minute meal. Two pizzas can feed four people, and you will leave your family and guests wanting more!  You can dress them up even more, adding roasted veg (I have made these with roasted broccoli) or Any toppings YOU enjoy.  That is the idea of food, even dishes that require little effort, right?  That YOU and your family  enjoy it!  

As always, I am grateful for your readership, gentle readers!  I hope you try this easy and fast flatbread pizza recipe, make it yours, and have fun with it!!!

 

 

1 comment:

  1. This looks really appetising Martin and has inspired me to go out and eat pizza tonight. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...