Tuesday, January 5, 2016




One-Pot Farfalle in Chorizo Pasta Sauce
.....on a BBQ!!!

Yes, friends, the title of this dish tells it all!  Last week, for a breather after having had Christmas Dinner at my little humble apartment, I went, how would you call it....?  Glamping? My friend and I stayed in a nice little rustic cabin out in the Delta alongside the Sacramento River. The cabin did not have a stove top, but it did have a bbq on the deck outside.  I had brought with me the Rachael Ray cookware I had purchased over the summer, and, undaunted, I wrapped up the pot and skillet handles in foil and went at it.  Here is our  "glamping" dinner, a one-pot pasta meal made on a barbecue!  This one was very simple, interesting, very easy and again, I made it one pot! Here's how I did it.


Here is my starting line-up: 
1 pound pork chorizo
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic (you know how I Love garlic!), grated or finely chopped
3 large basil leaves, rolled, chiffonade (thin ribbons)
1 teaspoon dried oregano 
1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
1 teaspoon thyme
1 pound farfalle (or your favorite pasta) pasta
2 tablespoons evoo (exra virgin olive oil)
1 7-ounce can Salsa Ranchera
2 - 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar or red wine (Let your mood be the judge!)
1 28-ounce can Cento (my favorite) tomato puree
1 14.5-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes*
*1.5 cups water


Add evoo to a medium or large pot over medium-high heat.  Add a half a teaspoon of garlic to the oil when it begins to ripple.  Stir vigorously for a few seconds to flavor the oil, then add the onion and remaining garlic.  Stir the aromatics occasionally for about four or five minutes more, allowing the onion to sweat.  Add the chorizo once the onions begin to soften and appear translucent. Cook, stirring occasionally, for five minutes. Afterward, add  the fire roasted tomatoes and tomato puree and stir thoroughly to mix everything in the pot very well. Now, add the wine or red wine vinegar and the dried spices and stir in well.  You will add the basil, dried or fresh, toward the very end.

 I had to shine a flashlight into the pot to see what I was doing.

 
 You will will you had smellaphone or smellaputer looking at this!

Now, add the box of farfalle to the pot and smush the pasta down into the sauce.  Add water to the can of fire roasted tomatoes and add that to the pot and incorporate very well.  Between the loose sauce and water and how long the pasta will simmer on low heat, this moisture and incredible flavors will be absorbed by the pasta. 
Adding the pasta to the sauce and looking out for what I was doing by flashlight.  Tricky business! My friend was a great help!
 
 
 Bring the sauce to a boil, stir one last time, lower the heat to low, cover and simmer for 1.5 hours.  Uncover and simmer for 30 minutes more.  You could simmer for only half an hour, but I really wanted my flavors to marry. During the last thirty  minutes, add the fresh chiffonade basil to the sauce, stir it in. 

Serve in a bowl and grate some parmigiano-reggiano or Romano cheese and any other garnishes you wish.  Enjoy fresh and hot from the pot! 


Enjoy with a glass of your favorite wine, enjoy the company of your family and friends.  Serve with bread to sop up some of that meaty sauce!

Thank You for your time and consideration, friends!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...