Monday, June 6, 2016





Salsa Verde and Beef Chorizo Tacos

I oftentimes plan out a recipe in my head based on flavors or cuisine I am craving.  It is also no secret how much I love breakfast and tacos, so I decided to put them together.  I have never made salsa verde before, and in my research, I have learned that there are several methods to making the perfect salsa, some fresh and uncooked, some cooked.  I chose, as I often do, to roast my aromatic veg.  After deciding to make the salsa verde, I decided on a chorizo and egg breakfast taco.  I am now on summer break and I have time to play! Let's get started, shall we?

My Salsa Verde Ingredients
6 - 9 tomatillos
4 - 6 limes
3 cloves garlic
1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
4 - 6 sprigs fresh oregano and thyme
1 tablespoon coriander seed
1 teaspoon cumin seed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 rounded tablespoon of lemon pepper
salt and pepper
2 serrano chiles*
1 - 2 jalapeno chiles*
1 8-ounce can fire roasted anaheim or pasilla chiles
2 scallions, coarsely chopped

* I remove the ribbing and seeds from the chiles as I like my salsa verde more tangy rather than hot, but, if you like it hotter, you may want to leave the ribbing and seeds intact. 



I halve the tomatillos and half of the lemons and arrange them on a baking sheet. Tomatillos are not green tomatoes, but rather, they are related to gooseberries, and have an oily, sticky residue on the tough skin of the round fruit. I rinse remove the outer paper-like skin and the stem, halve them and lay them out. I halve the chiles and do the same.  The garlic is left whole, but peeled. I drizzle the veg with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roasted for 15 minutes at 400-degrees.  

While the veg are roasting, I add the rest of the ingredients, along with fresh lime juice (about 2 tablespoons) and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to food processor.  I used my mom's old 1970's food processor.  I was feeling a little nostalgic because, when I was in 7th grade, my neighbor and I decided to make salsa verde using a molcajete which we'd borrowed from our neighbors.  My family and the family across the street were close friends with our immediate neighbors.  Mrs. Hernandez loved to cook, was an amazing, generous lady and her food was authentic and absolutely and impeccably delicious.  Well, Mrs. Hernandez lent us her molcajete and we boys ended up with our eyes burning because, although she warned us not to touch our eyes once we started grinding the jalapenos, we touched our eyes, noses, lips and it was just awful.  It was then that I learned that milk helps soothe that type of heat inflammation as ice cubes were not helping at all.  It was then that I gained a very healthy respect for chiles and how to handle them. 

After the veg has finished roasting, I let it cool several minutes and add it all to the food processor.  I pulse it and try to not liquefy it.  I like my salsa verde thicker rather than looser.  If you like it looser, add a little evoo.  



Pulse all of the ingredients until smooth.  I like my salsa verde a little on the chunky side, so I do not pulse it too smoothly. 


My mom's old 1970's food processor.  Seemed perfect for this revisit to my junior high days. 


Final Product!

Now, on to the Beef Chorizo and Egg Taco, featuring my fresh Salsa Verde. The taco filling itself is very simple.  I finely chopped one yellow onion, grated 2 cloves garlic, I put together a base spice blend of cumin, pasilla powder, dried oregano and dried thyme. The beef chorizo has many spices already in it, so this base spice blend, a level tablespoon each, is meant to enhance the spices already in the chorizo. 

In a skillet over medium high heat, with no oil added, saute the chorizo until thoroughly crumbled.  Drain the fat the chorizo will render. I add the chorizo to a colander and allow the fat to drain whilst I add the onion and garlic to the skillet with the residue chorizo rendering.  I add the spices and, after about four minutes, I add the chorizo back to the skillet and thoroughly combine the mixture.  The aroma is going to knock your socks off!

Add some fresh chopped cilantro to the mix, reserving some for the eggs, and remove from the skillet.  Add four eggs to a bowl and whisk together with a little salt, pepper and cilantro. Add the mixture to the skillet over medium-high heat. As the sides of the egg begins to solidify, reduce the heat to medium and break up the eggs to scramble. Once done, about four or five minutes, add some egg to a tortilla (I used small green chile corn tortillas), top with the chorizo, add some cilantro and drizzle with the fresh salsa verde. 



Time to roll and enjoy!  

On that note, I just want to Thank You, my readers, for your loyal readership, patience and friendship.  I appreciate it so much. Life is a series of lessons to learn, and I do my best to learn as much as I can.  Once more, I very much appreciate you all.  Martin

Now, Go Cook for someone you love!








No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...