Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Pantry Chicken Tikka Masala






Chicken Tikka Masala

It's Wednesday.  Payday is Friday. Or Saturday, help! You cannot go to the grocery store until payday, and all you have in your freezer is chicken breasts, and in your pantry, canned sliced tomatoes and rice, and in the frig, scallions and cilantro.  What do you do? Pantry Tikka Masala, of course!

This is a good time to talk about stocking up your spices and pantry with items for times just like this. Single people will understand this situation, but I suspect families of teachers and state employees will, too. I keep my pantry stocked with diced tomatoes, sliced tomatoes and tomato puree at all times.  I keep spaghetti, ramen, quinoa, couscous and rice in my pantry, as well.  As for spices, I keep a base of dried spices, such as smoked paprika, Turmeric, thyme, rosemary, oregano, cumin seed and powder, granulated garlic and onion, clove, star anise, chile molido and other ground chiles as well as dried chile pods. I also keep saffron*, ground ginger, herbs de provence, red pepper flakes, Chinese 5 Spice, Allspice, cardamom, Moroccan spice, Caribbean spice, cinnamon and more. In addition, because I love Middle Eastern spices, I also keep on hand a bag of spices and leaves which I can grind myself into Garam Masala. I also go to my neighborhood Pakistani store and buy a variety of prepacked spice mixes, such as Chappli, Tikka and Curry. 

Back to my pantry Chicken Tikka Masala.  While you can purchase jarred Tikka Masala sauce, which I have used previously, I had only the spices on hand. I also did not have yogurt, a staple in Indian and Pakistani cuisine, so I went without. You can use buttermilk as a substitute for yogurt, if you have that, to marinate the chicken breasts before cooking. 

With that, whew! i seasoned the three chicken breasts with the Tikka spice mixture and a little extra oregano (my favorite secret ingredient) top and bottom and all around, and allowed it to sit for several minutes uncovered. 

Prep the following for slow cooking: 
1 large onion, chopped into crescents
3 cloves garlic, sliced + 1, chopped
few fresh sprigs of cilantro, chopped + garnish
16 ounces chicken stock or water (2 cups)
+2 cups of chicken stock
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1- 1.5 cups Basamati rice, or your favorite rice
1 14.5-ounce can of chopped tomatoes



Spices: Tikka spice mix, fenugreek leaves, Turmeric, ground ginger, All spice, Moroccan spices, *saffron (for the rice)red pepper flakes, a teaspoon of each, except a rounded teaspoon of the ground ginger. 

I purposefully have not included salt and pepper because the Tikka spice mix has plenty of sodium. 


In a large pot, add three tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. When the oil ripples, add the three chicken breasts. Sear about three solid minutes per side without turning; have the hood fan on high, because, as the spices heat up, it will let off a lovely and powerful aroma. If you are not used to it, it may take you aback. After the six minutes of searing, remove the chicken and set it aside.....


Meanwhile, in a high-sided sauce pan, add a round drizzle of extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat.  When the oil ripples, add a tab of butter and add 1 - 1.5 cups of rice and one diced garlic clove.  Sautee the rice until coated with the oil and butter mixture and the garlic has blossomed in aroma while toasting the rice.  Next, add a pinch of saffron (see above) and the chicken stock. Stir while the stock comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for thirty minutes (for one cup of Basamati rice). 

When just about done, remove from the heat. No need to cover. 


Saffron scented rice with my secret ingredient: dried oregano. 

Now for the easy part! In the large pot in which I'd seared the chicken, heat off, add another round of extra virgin olive oil.  Place the large onion crescents on the bottom and place the chicken breasts atop those. Add the garlic atop the chicken, the rice atop that, add the tomatoes atop that, and add the balsamic and two cups chicken stock, plus one full cup of water. Stir in the ingredients thoroughly, without disturbing the chicken breasts.  Some of the onion will invariably float to the top. 



*Note, I'd added some Mexican scallions to the mix. The larger onion remains at the bottom under the chicken. 

Add the remaining spices, ginger, allspice, oregano leaves, fenugreek leaves, 2 tablespoons Tikka spices, granulated onion, Turmeric, salt and pepper. 

Once the fluids have been added, bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for two hours, uncovered for thirty minutes afterward. Remove from the heat after the last thirty minutes, uncovered, to meld. After several minutes, use two forks to shred the chicken in the mix, or, remove the breasts to shred. The chicken may fall apart, however, so you may not even get it out of the pot.  😀  There will be some loose liquid in the pot and I certainly did not mind it.  It added condensed flavor to the meal. 

Just to ward off comments about the rice, normally the mixture would be served over rice.  But this was a pantry meal and I included the rice in the pot and I am so glad I did.  The rice added texture and the saffron flavor was a true gift to the dish. I had messaged a friend from India who told me to take a chance and add the rice to the pot.  The risk was so worth it!  Thank You, Mr. K!!!!!!



I served the pantry Chicken Tikka Masala in a bowl garnished with fresh cilantro. The aromas are like incense and the flavors, heavenly. If you love spices and a little heat, this dish is truly for you! With three chicken breasts or a package of thighs (see a future recipe for thighs), this full recipe easily serves six people heartily. Great for leftovers! Serve with Naan or even stuff a pita!  Be creative and make it your own!  

As always, Thank You for your time and consideration and viewership!  Your being here means a great deal to me!  I hope you enjoyed this dish, and please know, it is not nearly as complicated as I make it seem. The prep and cooking prior to the low and slow cooking is only a few minutes. You could certainly prep this a day ahead of time and use a slow-cooker the next day. I hope you make this and let me know what you think!  Thanks!

Now, Go Cook For Someone You Love!  

~Martin
In-House Cook





No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...