Thursday, June 7, 2018

Vegetarian Verde Chili






Vegetarian Verde Chili

My posts have a tendency to alienate vegetarians and vegans, which I apologize for, and I am working on changing the recipes I will be writing this summer. Some will have meat, some will not. My goal is to prep and cook the comfort foods I love but reducing calories, reducing fat, and portions (for singles and couples, but with the capability to serve up to six or more people). And, as I age, my body "tells" me when I have had enough meat, and this dish is one of those where it was time to go meat free.  

This verde chili is vegan, for the most part, except for the cheese I'd topped my servings with. Otherwise, all of the ingredients were non-dairy, non-meat. 

You can make your own vegan salsa verde by roasting onion, Anaheim green chiles, garlic, halved limes, tomatillos and serrano or pasilla chiles and blend them in a food processor, or, to save time, unless you have the time, simply purchase a couple of large bottles of your favorite salsa verde. I like mine tangy, so I add lime juice and fresh cilantro to the salsa I purchase. I have made my own fresh salsa verde; please scan the blog posts.  Thanks!

Now, the best part of this recipe, other than the eating, is how easy it is to prepare!*  Let's get started, shall we?

Ingredients
1 large onion, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
1 16-ounce can corn kernel in water
2 cans rinsed red kidney beans
1-2 cans rinsed black beans
2  4-ounce cans fire roasted, diced green chiles
zest of one lime and the juice of two limes
2 large bottles of salsa verde
2 fresh lime leaves (optional)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
*fresh thyme and/or oregano for garnish or cooking
3 tablespoons grape seed oil
1/4 cup mirin

Spices
1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
1 tablespoon fresh or dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon fresh or dried oregano
1 rounded tablespoon cumin seed or powder
1 teaspoon salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon chile molido (ground chile)
1 teaspoon ground coriander seed

Note:  I have no idea what has happened to the next four photos. They seem to have disappeared and I do not know why. To view them, please go to my In-House Cook FB page. They are all there.  Thank you, and so sorry for the inconvenience! I will investigate this.   Martin/In-House Cook



Rinse the beans and corn. 

Now for the hard part.  Ready?  It is very complicated, so please pay close attention. In fear of pain and sharp objects, please know that I am just joking. 

Add the grape seed oil to a large pot over medium-high heat.  When the oil ripples, add the onion and a pinch of salt.  Saute the onion about three minutes and add the garlic. Saute three minutes and add the diced green chiles. Stir to mix well. Add the beans and corn, the lime zest and juice, mirin, chopped cilantro and add the two jars of salsa verde.  Stir thoroughly.  As the mixture comes to a boil, add all of the spices and incorporate well. Stir thoroughly and reduce the heat to low. 

Stir in all the spices and zest and juice well. 



Reduce the heat to low and simmer for thirty minutes to two hours. 

You could also put everything into a slow cooker and turn it on low for eight-to-ten hours without sauteing anything. How easy is That?

I prefer the interactive cooking process and monitoring and tasting all along the way, but if you are a busy person or parent, this is a perfect meal to throw in the slow cooker, head off to work or whatever important things you do and serve to your family at the end of the day. It is also perfect for pot luck, as everyone will be able to partake of it. You will be the star of the show!






I serve my chili in a bowl and this chili, being chunky, I included a folded flour tortilla to use as a scoop, but you could certainly use chips or simply, a spoon. I topped mine with finely shredded Oaxaca cheese (very tedious to finely shred Oaxaca) 😀 and a fresh sprig of oregano to tie in the verde theme. 

I hope you enjoy this recipe and its delicious simplicity!  If you make it, please let me know what you think!  Gracias!

As always, Thank You for your time and consideration!  I am grateful for your readership and for viewing. 

Now, Go Cook For Someone You Love!!!

~Martin
In-House Cook


















No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...