Sunday, October 21, 2018

Spicy Pot Roast





Martin's Spicy Pot Roast

In a series of recipe blog posts of firsts for me, I have prepared a recipe from my childhood but, you know me, I put my own spicy spin on it.  I prepared pot roast with the usual fixins, potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic, but also with fire roasted green chiles, chipotle in adobo, my Mexican spice blend, and braised it in Mexican beer. The braising aroma was insanely delightful. I made this with the flavors of Mexico so I could make several meals out of the leftovers. Tacos, burritos, and served with the potatoes in a more traditional style. 

Let's get started shall we?

Ingredients

1 pot roast steak
1 large white onion, coarsely chopped
1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
1 pint beef stock
3 bottles (from a six pack) Mexican Beer (I used Pacifico) and a little for the cook!
3 tablespoons Mexican Spice Blend
1 carrot, grated or finely sliced
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 small cans fire roasted diced green chiles
1 rounded tablespoon tomato paste
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 ounces fire roasted salsa
2 tablespoons chipotle in adobo
fresh thyme
1 tablespoon Italian dried seasoning







Add the vegetable oil to a large pot over high heat.  Season the pot roast meat with the Mexican Spice Blend.  I did not add salt and pepper to the ingredients list because there is salt and pepper in the spice blend. When the oil begins to ripple, add the meat.  It will sizzle and that is what you want. We sear the meat to get a good caramelization crust. Sear on each side about five minutes.  Remove the roast and add a good splash of the beef stock and the Worcestershire sauce.  Scrape the bottom of the pan, as that is flavor you want to employ! The smell will be incredible!  Now, reduce the heat to medium, add the potatoes, carrots, onion and half of the garlic and half of the thyme. Sprinkle a little of the Mexican Spice Blend over the veg, stir and allow the veg to get a little crust on it, about four minutes.  Add the tablespoon of tomato paste, stir thoroughly.  Add the pot roast to the pot atop the veg. Add the beef stock or broth and the beers. Return the heat to high.  The liquids will fill just to the top of the beef.  If not, add a little water or more beer. 




Add the remaining thyme, garlic and Italian dry seasoning to the top of the roast, add the remaining Mexican spice blend and bring the liquids to a boil. Stir a little, cover and reduce the heat to low.  Braise for three or four hours, up to six hours. 







Final product after four hours of braising.


I painstakingly skimmed off the fatty oil so as to preserve the meat.  For me, it finished cooking late at night, about 11pm.  My fault, I started it that late. The next day, however, I had reheated it in the same pot, less as much of the fat as I could remove, and it was delicious as burritos, tacos and later, as a skillet breakfast dish with the potatoes and eggs and cheese.  Muy bueno!!!

I do not have a plated photo or photos this time.  As I said, I used it for three different dishes and fully enjoyed each one.  I purchased large tortillas to wrap into a supersized burrito with the shredded beef, scallions, Salsa Ranchero and scrambled eggs with green chiles mixed in.  Delicioso!  I did pretty much the same thing, less the egg, with the tacos.  

You could serve it in the traditional manner, with the potatoes and carrots, onion and the beef.  Amazingly aromatic and delicious.  Winner every time. 


With that, Thank You, gentle viewers and readers, for your time and consideration.  I always appreciate your visits!

Now, Go Cook For Someone You Love!💓

~Martin
In-House Cook



No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...