Saturday, November 3, 2018

Mother Hubbard Empty Cupboard Pantry Meal: Tortellini with Fresh Tomatoes and Herbs







My Mother Hubbard Empty Cupboard 
 Pantry Meal:
Tortellini with Fresh Tomatoes and Herbs

As a teacher on a single income, the last week of the month oftentimes is very lean.  Food is not lavish, but more pantry meals. October was an extremely tight month and the day before Halloween was the very last meal my cupboard pantry and refrigerator could muster. I made the most and best of it, though, and with the help of my friends, Anne and Chase, Thanks Friends!, I made a fulfilling and delicious extreme pantry meal. The LAST pantry meal.

I had a bag of Tortellini in my freezer and though I had intended to have it this day, that day and the other day, I kept putting it off.  So glad I did!  It was the Last usable item in my freezer and refrigerator. I had no more tomato based products, so the sauce was going to have to be something else. But, I did have butter!  So, brown butter sauce was part of the menu.  Problem:  I did not have fresh sage, no money to get any, and no friends have it growing.  So brown butter sage sauce, was going to have to be brown butter something-else sauce. 

Let's get to the ingredients, shall we?

Ingredients

1 package tortellini
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
1 teaspoon or tablespoon garlic
*onion, if you have it, sliced
1/4 stick butter
salt
2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
4 + 4 leaves fresh basil
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
2 tablespoons evoo
parmesan cheese

I had gotten some fresh basil for a previous dish a few days earlier from Anne and Chase, so I had greens.  I had parmigiana, a few sprigs of thyme and a pint of baby grape tomatoes in the frig, as well, and a small container of garlic paste.


I added three tabs of butter and a teaspoon of garlic paste to a skillet over medium heat with two tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. While the butter melted, I added four quarts of water to a pot over high heat. 

When the butter melted in the skillet, I added the tomatoes and four chiffonade cut leaves fresh basil, as well as a tablespoon of fresh thyme. I allowed the flavors to marry during a medium heat saute. 



When the water comes to a roiling boil, liberally salt the water and stir it in.  Add the tortellini and stir again to prevent sticking.  Like gnocci, tortellini sinks then rises when it is done. As the flavors marry in the skillet, use a spider or other water draining utensil to scoop out the tortellini and place it into the skillet. I do not know if this video will work, but, if not, please visit my blog's facebook (In-House Cook) site, instagram (In-House Cook) or Twitter (In-House Cook/@crdn9) and you can see several videos about this dish.  Thanks!



When the tortellini has finished cooking, add it little- by- little to the skillet.  Toss gently and coat the pasta evenly. Add a tablespoon of dry Italian seasoning and stir.  Again, I hope the video works when the post is published!!!



I garnished with some more fresh basil and shaved parmesan cheese. This dish easily feeds three or four, especially with additional items, such as garlic bread or a protein. 



Some people do not like butter or oil on their plate (I love brown butter sauce, so it Is on my plate) so you can always use a slotted spoon to plate the tortellini. 


Such a basic dish but so delicous.  Lesson learned?  Always have that one item like tortellini or ravioli in your freezer with something to create a sauce with and keep that in your pantry. When you have that one day when you really need it, it's there. 

With that, my gentle viewers, Thank You for your time and consideration.  I am grateful for your visit!

Now, Go Cook Something For Someone You Love!

~Martin
In-House Cook














No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...