Friday, November 29, 2019





Venezuelan Panqueque Extreme Pantry Meal

The last week of this month found me making some pretty wild extreme pantry meals. This one, however, was the most successful and real keeper for the books.  I had two eggs, Pan (a corn based meal flour used to make Venezuelan Arepas) a package of ground beef, corn and a little bit of cheese remaining.  My freezer and frig, after this meal, was empty!!!  Lesson learned:  keep your pantry stocked for emergencies. 😆 

I decided to make pancakes, panqueque in Spanish, rather than arepas. I added 2.5 cups Pan flour to a large bowl, followed by a teaspoon of salt and two tablespoons of my Mexican spice blend and two eggs.  I combined all the ingredients (it needed some water, as well) to make a thick batter.  I heated a skillet over medium-high heat with vegetable oil.  When the oil began to ripple, I added some of the batter, about the size of a pancake. I let it sit for four minutes before turning over for four more minutes.  It becomes golden with a bit of burned spots and it is aromatic.  


Afterward, I browned the ground beef in a skillet, added a tablespoon of tomato paste, three tablespoons water, a can of drained corn kernels, and two tablespoons of my Mexican spice blend.  This became the topping for the panqueques. I topped with the last little bit of quesadilla cheese I had left.  


I added some cilantro left from my garden and some chile strips.  




I am totally surprised about how well this turned out.  The crunchy, hot, flavorful texture of the panqueque, the crunch of the corn and the Mexican flavors were quite delicious.  This was just what I needed on that last week.  I hope you will make this and add your favorite toppings and love it!

As always, Thank You for your visit, your time and consideration!  

Now, go Cook something for someone you Love!

~Martin
In-House Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...