Friday, January 17, 2014


Pantry Breakfast Pizza

Breakfast is one of those meals I could eat at any time of day or any day of the week.  This week, I have to "make due" with what I have in my pantry and on-hand in my refrigerator.  I wanted to make something I could have for dinner last night that was a bit substantial and that I could have for breakfast and/or lunch the following day. Breakfast Pizza is one of my favorites.  I have, in the past, used chorizo, but I had only chicken hot dogs for a protein product, so I used that, along with the staples I always have on hand, onion and garlic.  I also had some kale and basil left over from Monday, so "Pantry Breakfast Pizza" was born.  Er, baked, actually. 

And with that, here are many of the ingredients.  Let's get started!


How embarrassing! Yes, I am wearing my cushy slippers!

Ingredients:
1 ball fresh pizza dough, or, one cylinder Pillsbury whole wheat pizza dough
3 - 4 baby sweet peppers, seeded and ribbed, chopped
3 - 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped  (yes, I used four!)
1.5 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1 package chicken hot dogs, or whatever meat or leftover meat you have on hand
1 cup fresh kale, chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil, torn (6 leaves, rolled and chopped or torn)
salt and pepper
1/4 cup diced, roasted green chiles
1 red or yellow onion, finely chopped
12-14 sun dried tomatoes
6 eggs
2 teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed
1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed between the palms of your hands
1-2 tablespoons smoked paprika
dusting of flour 
extra virgin olive oil

Of course, you could add whatever you want to such a pizza.  Listing the ingredients, by-the-way, is the hardest part. 

Chop and grate the vegetables.  Prep all of the other ingredients for use.  

On a large cutting board or pastry marble, dust with flour.  Roll out your pizza dough.  I decided to use a rectangular baking pan, and I used a store-bought cylindrical whole wheat dough, so it came out of the container in that shape.  Easy.  Roll the dough out, after dusting the top very lightly with flour, to the length and width of your pan.  

If you are using a ball of fresh dough, separate it as needed, then, using your fingers, shape and form the dough into a circle as best as possible.  Place the dough atop a pizza stone, if you have one, that has been lightly dusted with flour or corn meal.  

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  No need to rush, due to the eggs!  

I like to drizzle the dough with a little extra virgin olive oil and toss some fresh garlic and a pinch of the cumin over it, lightly.  I bake it for five minutes and remove. 

Meanwhile, saute the chopped chicken hot dogs, half a cup of the fresh onion, 2/3 of the fresh garlic, the chopped sweet baby peppers, along with half of the remaining spices, and salt and pepper in a couple of tablespoons of evoo in a large skillet.  Do not cook the onions all the way through.  The pizza baking later will finish that up.  



I sprinkle some of the mozzarella over the pizza dough and make six congruent depressions, which I call "nests", in the dough.  Crack the eggs into the nests.  I like to place the sun dried tomatoes, two or three, around the nests, like a border.  I place some of the fresh onion, which ought to take care of the other half cup of fresh onion and the rest of the garlic atop the pizza dough, and sprinkle all the rest of the spices lightly over the pizza. 



Do not place the kale atop the pizza until the last five minutes of baking. 

Bake the pizza for 20 minutes.  After 15 minutes, add the kale. Leave the basil until the pizza comes out of the oven.  It will wilt due to the emanating heat by itself.  


Add the kale and some parmesan cheese the last five minutes of baking.  It will wilt nicely.

Upon completion, cut the pizza into squares (or triangular slices if you have made a rustic circular pizza) and serve.  You will love the balance of sweet from the sun dried tomatoes, the crunch of the crust and kale, the breakfasty (yes, breakfasty) flavor of the seasoned eggs, the aroma and flavor of garlic and spices.  This is just a complete comfort food meal.  Hope you enjoy it!


I like to drizzle a little sriracha over the pizza. 

Thank You, gentle readers, for your time!  Until next recipe.....
ENJOY COOKING!




No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...