Sunday, October 2, 2022

Organizing and Utilizing Space in Super Small Kitchens








 Small Kitchen Advice Hacks


I live in a one bedroom apartment.  While the bedroom and living room are spacious, the kitchen has limited counter space. Didn't the architects of this plex ever watch DIY shows where the kitchen is the crown jewel of the space? Not at all, apparently, so for 13 years I have suffered the smallness of it but I have made some amazing meals here and catered events, all started in my kitchen.  Clean as a whistle, it is.  In my time as kitchen steward, here, I have learned a few things.  And I have had help from my beloved friend, Morgan. We call him "The Morganizer", and he really is a master at organizing and finding hacks to help. 

I have a culinary cart upon which I store the pots and skillets I use most often, and even more of them have been hung on the sides of cupboards to unclutter the cart. My close friend and former colleague, Ben, built this cart for me for my birthday some years ago.  It has been invaluable in my culinary ventures. 


What do I have in the cupboards?  Baking pans and pots and bowls. There's a cupboard for my various food processors, big and little.  There is one two story cupboard behind the cart (above) with one level for kitty food and the bottom for the dog food. Of course, other cupboards stored my plates, bowls, coffee mugs and glasses and cups. The cupboard space was so limited, and my counter space even More limited, I clearly needed help. Enter Morgan, the Morganizer. 

Morgan bought several of those stick-on/pull off with no wall or cupboard damage hooks of various strengths and sizes for my varied pots and pans. You can find various brands of the temporary stick ons at CVS, WalMart, Target and similar stores. As you can see, they work on faux wood cupboards and plaster painted walls easily.  You will be amazed at how much cupboard and counter space is cleared up for you! 


All of these were out of the way, easy to take down and use.  



Everything was near the stove and the sink.  There was literally no travel outside the kitchen to retrieve anything.  It was exemplary planning and execution. Next, my spices.  


Morgan bought a spice riser.  He put my spices on it and I rearranged them according to how often I use them.  Those that are not frequently used were placed off and up to the left and the most often used spices on the right.  


 Ideal location for the riser. Everything used often is right there at the fingertips and next to THE most important thing, the Keurig!!!  😃


**************

Note:  I started this blog post back in January. I had to neglect my blog (so sorry!) for months because I had decided to retire at the end of the school year and to move across the country.  I now live in Virginia, and I love it here.  I have adopted a German Shepherd rescue and am adopting Athena's foster sister tomorrow.  Three dogs and a cat are a lot to deal with, but they bring joy to my heart.  I will update my blog from now on since I have time to plan and cook my little heart out.  

With that, I want to Thank You for sticking with me, your patience and your readership. Now, go reorganize your tiny kitchen!  

~Martin
In-House Cook

This is Ginger Hope, whom we are adopting tomorrow!
Athena and Morgan
Athena
Our little old man, Gus, who turned 15 Sept. 15th. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...