Sunday, October 19, 2014


Verde Chile Chili

Ever have one of those months where Every penny must be watched and pinched?  For me, this is one of those months.  The next several recipes, tonight's, tomorrow night's and Wednesday night's are going to be how many different recipes I can make using pantry items, particularly canned pinto beans. This current recipe is one I have done previously, each with varying difficulty.  The first was, I believe, my "fake out verde carnitas" and the next, actual Green Chile Chili; the carnitas I'd made for my son at his place while he was in class at college, and the second I'd made for my staff at work.  Today, it is an easy-on-the-bank account meal and will stretch throughout the week. Let's get to it, shall we?

Here's my starting line-up:

For the chili pot:
1/2 red or yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1-pound, 13oz can of pinto beans  (or, 1 1/3 pounds dried beans, rinsed and soaked overnight)
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon chipotle or ground pasilla powder
2 16-oz bottles of Salsa Verde
2 cups water or low sodium chicken stock
1 8-oz can kernel corn in water
finely grated cheese
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or grape seed oil (whatever you like)
2 limes, zest and juice
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, diced

 

Flavor Base/Roasted Veg/For the Blender:
2 Anaheim green chiles 
2 Poblano green chiles
1-2 serrano chiles
3 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
1 small yellow onion, quartered
2 tablespoons grape seed oil (or, again, your favorite)
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 limes, zest and juice
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro

 

While the chili can stand alone as an entire balanced meal, I roasted enough chiles, onions and garlic to use with turkey meatballs, with the flavor base being spices and a puree of the roasted veg.


 For the turkey meatballs, I added dried crushed oregano, teaspoon chipotle powder (from my friends @sweetnsavory on Twitter), 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika, and one teaspoon cumin seeds, ground in my mortal with pestle.  I added half a cup of my verde sauce and an egg to the pound of ground turkey.  I used an ice cream scoop to make each meatball, and I put each meatball in a mini muffin tin cup sprayed with non-stick spray.  These are baked.  Very tender and moist! Stay tuned for the sammies tomorrow!

 

Meanwhile.....

In a baking dish or oven-safe skillet, toss the chiles, onion and garlic in oil.  Spray non-stick spray to the skillet or pan and roast at 400 degrees for about twenty minutes.  Place the chiles in a zip-lock bag for about twenty minutes to steam and cool.  This enables to skins to separate from the meat of the chile and it can then be easily removed, peeled from the chile.  Remove the seeds and stem and add to a blender or food processor along with a drizzle of oil.  Repeat with all of the chiles. Add the onion and garlic, and a light drizzle of oil again.  Pulse until the mixture can be fully blended.  Add lime zest and juice, salt and pepper. Taste, and if good, remove and allow to cool.  If needed, add more lime juice and/or salt to taste.  Now, time to start the chili.
In a large pot or dutch oven, add the oil over medium-high heat.  When it ripples, add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion is slightly translucent.  Add the can of rinsed beans and half a cup of water or chicken stock and the zest and juice of the limes.  Incorporate well.  Add one bottle of salsa verde and mix well.  Add the can of corn and the second bottle of salsa verde.  Add the ground pasilla or chipotle powder and stir well.  Add another cup of chicken stock or water.  Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer, over low heat.  Partly cover with the lid or with foil.  Stir about every fifteen minutes.  You may need to scrape the bottom of the dutch oven and the sides.  That is ALL FLAVOR. 


Simmering onion and garlic


The mixture starting to simmer. 


 From the pot to the bowl. 



Simmer about an hour.  When you are ready to serve, add a little sprinkle of your favorite cheese and some fresh thyme.  Deliciousness!

I hope you enjoy this dish.  It is very easy and allows you time to get to other things, such as the turkey meatballs for Verde Turkey Meatball Sammies with Oaxaca cheese!  
 

 


 

2 comments:

  1. Love this recipe Martin...I am gonna try it
    Have you bought a new camera? The photos are looking amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, chef! Nope, just my usual camera. I am excited! I know you will like the tang and savory of the chili, but overall, I am just excited you are going to try it. Quite honored! :)

    ReplyDelete

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...