Thursday, July 7, 2016





All NEW Episode of....
What I Have Been Up To In My Kitchen!

Summer has sprung and I have enjoyed being busy in my kitchen the last week trying different versions of old favorites.  I began with blue corn tortilla chip nachos with dry rubbed and then marinated carne asada.  Prior to this, however, a little more than a week ago, I went on a meaty carnivoric binge and made a pizza with all-meat that I wanted to share.  Finally, I made a little peachy dessert for my mom last night for OMC dinner which was a first for me.  More soon.....

Very simple, very easy, warm, fiery and tangy Mexican flavors in every chip or bite, my revamped Carne Asada Blue Corn Chip Nachos will please the entire family, or, just you!]
I started by toasting my spices:  paprika, coriander and cumin seeds, thyme, oregano, pasilla powder, dried, minced garlic and onion, chipotle powder and salt.  I ground them in my spice grinder and set aside.  While six thin carne asada beef steaks came to room temperature, I made my marinade.  That simply included 1/2  cup grape seed oil, the juice of two limes (mine were small and not very juicy, to begin with, ergo two limes which only yielded about a tablespoon), pinch of salt and a teaspoon of pepper, teaspoon of fresh thyme and fresh oregano and a tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, and, to top it off, a tablespoon of my Mexican spice blend. I whisked it all together and let it sit at room, temperature for about fifteen minutes.  After rubbing each of the steaks with my spice blend, I let the meat sit for about thirty minutes before adding the marinade. 



If you do not have the time, then rub the steaks and just pour the marinade atop them, flip the steaks with a pair of tongs and let them sit for about thirty minutes.  If you can, however, let them marinate for thirty minutes to an hour.  The acid will begin to work on the connective tissues and soften up the meat.  The next issue is:  slice and dice before or After you sear the meat?  I have to tell you, I have done this in both manners, and it did not matter; turned out just fine.  

Enough prepping.  Time to get busy! Add blue corn tortilla chips to your cast iron skillet or a baking pan (might line a pan with foil for easy clean up) and add a thin layer of cheese.  After you have seared up the meat (I dice the meat into small bits, 1/4 inch max, and sear them up with just a little bit of pink left) add that generously atop the chips.  Add another, but more generous layer of cheese atop the carne asada.  I used Queso Anejo and Oaxaca, and top the cheese with dried and fresh oregano (I know, I'm obsessed with oregano), pickled Jalapenos and bake in the oven at 375-degrees for twenty minutes.  The Queso Anejo takes a bit of time to melt, and in doing so, the meat finishes cooking. Afterward, garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and let the cast iron skillet cool for several minutes before serving. Top with your favorite sauce or provide salsa in a bowl.  


Blue Corn Chip Carne Asada Nachos Oven Ready!

Garnish is fresh cilantro and fresh oregano after baking and serve with your favorite salsa or sauce!




Now, on to dessert!


Each weekend, I attend to my mom's needs.  I call it "OMC", or "OhMommaCare".  Once a week I make my mom dinner and sometimes dessert.  As we all know, I am not a baker, but I sometimes surprise even myself.  Grilling fruit, such as halved and cored peaches and stuffed with a brown sugar crumble and baked - and having it turn out well - was quite a feat for me!  



My crumble was a half cup of Bisquik  (TM), half cup of brown sugar, half a stick of ice cubed butter, cut into small cubes worked together into a ball.  Using a spoon, I scooped a good spoon full of the crumble into the peach. 


After baking at 375-degrees for eighteen minutes, the peach softened but retained its shape.  I am happy to share that my mom enjoyed it very much and called me later to tell me she ate a second one after I'd left!  Success is Miiiiiinnnne!!!  


Thank You, gentle readers, for your time and consideration.  I have decided to keep this episode short and sweet as possible.  I hope you have enjoyed this episode of "What I Have Been Up To In My Kitchen".  Thank You for your visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...