Sunday, August 18, 2019

Hearty Stuff on Fritos






Hearty Stuff on Fritos

My usual ancient family secret recipe, Stuff on Fritos, is usually not very grande.  But this time, I added more chiles and onion to the mix to make it chunkier, healthier and with more fresh herbs than ever. This is a perfect thirty minute or less mid-week meal that easily serves four-six.  It is inexpensive (depending on the meat you use) and is quite flavorful.  Here's a list of ingredients.....

Ingredients
Red, orange and yellow bell peppers, slivered
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
fresh sprigs of lemony thyme, oregano
2 small cans fire roasted diced green chiles 
1 bunch fresh cilantro
1 package Taco seasoning or my Mexican Spice Mix
1 cup finely grated Oaxaca cheese
1 bag large Fritos Scoops
1 can refried beans
3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil



I must admit that I made this dish in late May when I was quite ill, and I purchased the onion and peppers prepackaged at the grocery store and chopped and sliced them accordingly.  

In a large, high-sided skillet, add the cooking oil over medium-high heat. While the oil heats up, open the fire roasted chiles cans to have them ready, as well as the refried beans can.  



Once the oil begins to ripple, it is hot enough to start sauteing.  Add the onion, garlic and peppers to the skillet and saute four minutes.  Use a spatula to move the veg to ring the inner perimeter of the skillet. Add the meat you are going to use.  I used a ground ribeye steak, perfectly lean and marbled, both.  I broke up and seared the meat several minutes before adding the dried spice blend (I used my own) and added some extra dried lemony thyme. I also added some fresh thyme and torn oregano. Add a splash of water or Mexican beer and simmer for eighteen minutes over low heat, uncovered to reduce the liquid.  Next, return the heat to medium-high and add one can of roasted chiles and the refried beans and combine gently but thoroughly for a few minutes to heat up the beans. Serve over your favorite chips (my family has always served it over Fritos), top with some of the roasted green chiles from the other can, sour cream, if you like, and garnish with fresh thyme, oregano and torn fresh cilantro.  I love to add both chunky salsa and a hot sauce.  My favorite cheese is Oaxaca, which is a Mexican mozzarella, made in the state of Oaxaca, and it is super hard to grate finely without freezing the ball a bit.  You could simply serve it chunked, as well.  It is sooo good, and a perfect addition to the massive flavors already on the plate!  Enjoy with your favorite garnishes!


Now I cannot wait to make this again!

Doesn't it look good?


As always, my friends, Thank You for your time and consideration!  I am always grateful for your every visit!

Now, Go Cook For Someone You Love!  
Maybe some Stuff on Fritos????


~Martin
In-House Cook










No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...