Tuesday, June 19, 2012


Mexican Corn Fritters with Cheese and Cilantro

Anyone who really knows me understands that if they ask me if I would like to have Mexican food, I'm IN.  I absolutely, without reserve, pleasurably  L O V E  Mexican food.  So when I previewed my previous blog about the ribs, I shuddered and had to force myself, practically, to breathe at the omission of my love of what are, traditionally, Mexican herbs and spices.  I had written that I love "Asian, Indian, and good 'ole American" flavors, or such.  How in the world could I leave out Mexican?  I am deeply shamed.  BUT, earlier in the day, I practiced making this corn fritter dish that is a without a doubt a new favorite.  

The idea for this recipe came from the Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications: Mexican issue, from March 2012, page 39.  I changed it up a little bit, in order to make it my own.  Here are the Ingredients:

2 large eggs, beaten (the recipe calls for two, but I needed three)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, Mexican or Jack. (I had Mozzarella on hand, and so used that, but I'd use Anejo or Oaxaca any day)
2/3  cup all purpose flour  (I used more like 3/4 cup)
1/3 cup chopped green onions
2 teaspoons crushed cumin seeds  (I used my pestle and mortar)
1 teaspoon dried Mexican Oregano  (a staple in my cupboard)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh cooked or frozen whole kernel corn
2 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil  (I used 4 tablespoons canola oil)
***The magazine recipe calls for 1 large zucchini, grated, which I omitted. 
**I also incorporated 1/3 cup chopped Cilantro
*Finally, I added 2 teaspoons fresh finely chopped garlic (I love garlic)







 Very simply, crack and beat or whisk the eggs in a small bow. Combine all of the ingredients - except for the corn - in a larger bowl.  Add the corn and incorporate the corn well.  ****I used canned corn today (but will roast my own fresh corn tomorrow) and charred it a little with cumin seeds in a skillet before mixing with the other ingredients;  just my own spin on it. I also saved a little of the cilantro as garnish.  

Heat the 2 - 4 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  ***I ended up using too much oil.  When the oil ripples, drop a rounded dollop of the mixture into the skillet.  You should hear sizzling and see oil bubbles.  This is good!  After about two or three minutes, flip the fritter over.  It will be golden brown on the top (now).  Reduce the heat to medium, maybe even slightly lower.  Allow the other side to crisp up and become golden.  When that has happened, remove the fritters and place them on a wire rack over paper towels to drain and cool.  

When the fritters have cooled enough, they are ready to serve.  The magazine, mentioned above, also has a great recipe for fresh Tomatillo Sauce  (also on my culinary to-do this summer). ** If you have a can or jar of Verde sauce, this can be substituted as a great drizzle or dipping sauce.  *You could also make a Chipotle-Mayo dip, which would be great.  Just sayin'.

These Mexican Corn Fritters are a truly simple, easy and fresh snack, appetizer, or summer meal!





No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...