Saturday, August 25, 2018

Giant Rib Steak with Garlic Cheesy Smashed Potatoes and The Case of the Writer's Block





Giant Rib Steak with Garlic Cheesy Smashed Potatoes and The Case of the Writer's Block

I had started this blog post after a truly delicious meal of steak and mashed potatoes, and, not featured, store-bought fruit cup.  But no sooner had I simply posted the photo, above, and the title, I lost all ability to think this deliciously simply recipe through. Some three weeks later, here I am, trying again.  Writer's block is a strange brain-fello.  You can find motivation to go to work, to love it, to love your pets and devote loving time to them, to your garden, but after writing eight simple words, boom!  The thoughts and motivation disappear.  Boggles my mind. 

I am back, however, fully ready to share my garlic, cheesy smashed baby potatoes. Oh yeah, and a huge, thick, amazingly tender and juicy rib steak, seasoned, seared and oven finished low and slow. 

I'd simply seasoned the steak on both sides with salt and pepper and let it come to room temperature. 

Meanwhile, I washed and chopped 1.5 pounds baby Yukon gold and New potatoes into fourths; most of them, as some were small enough to halve.  I covered the potatoes with water and brought the water to a boil.  I then seasoned the boiling potatoes with sea salt and two smashed cloves of garlic.  

I added three tablespoons of vegetable oil to an oven-safe skillet over high heat.  I also set the oven to 250-degrees bake.  When the oil began to ripple, I added the steak and began the searing process.  After four minutes, I turned the steak and reduced the heat to medium. After four minutes I'd placed the skillet into the oven for eighteen minutes. 

The potatoes will have been boiling for about twenty minutes and should be ready by now.  Use a spoon or a fork to check for softness of the wedges. 

Next, I had drained the baby potatoes in a colander, added four tabs of butter to the pot over low heat along with two cloves garlic, grated. I added the potatoes to the pot and used a wooden spoon to stir.  I added 3/4 cup of buttermilk, a hefty tablespoon of dried oregano and level tablespoon of dried parsley flakes and another two tabs of butter, salt and pepper. I used a potato masher to smash the potatoes.  After a good arm workout, I added a cup of Italian cheeses (provolone, mozzarella and gouda, all grated) to the smashed mix and folded in the cheeses. 

I rustically placed a mound of smashed potatoes onto the serving plate and, after having removed the steak skillet and allowed the steak to rest on a cutting board, placed the steak partly over the potatoes.  



It was not until after I'd given up on trying to write this that I realized some things that I Should have done to make the dish vastly better.  One, I should have sliced the steak and should have made either a buttery sauce with fresh parsley or an herb chimichurri. I realized just what a romantic dish this could be for two!  Next time, I will do this and I will write an addendum to this post. Two, I should have roasted carrots with bacon and garlic to serve with this dish, as the colors would have been truly complimentary and would have brought beauty to the plate.  




Regardless of the lessons I have learned, this was a lovely dish.  I finished the steak with Celtic Sea Salt and the potatoes with a sprinkle of dried parsley flakes. All-in-All, it was a fantastically delicious dish and, best of all, maybe, depending on who you are, I got my writing mojo back!!!

As always, Thank You for your visit and support!  I am sincerely grateful for your visit!

Now, Go Cook For Someone You Love!

~Martin
In-House Cook









No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...