Thursday, October 15, 2020

Ground Turkey Lasagna

 




Ground Turkey Lasagna


I have been partial to ground turkey ever since a dear friend and colleague, rest her soul, taught me how to make ground turkey tacos.  Since then, this was in the early 2000s, she taught me how to use ground chicken and turkey for various dishes, but this was my first attempt at making ground turkey lasagna, and it turned out to be a true gem. 

Some Italian food is heavy and decadent, just the way I like it, but this dish, while using low fat mozzarella, has all of the flavors and delights expected in an old country dish.,  Let's get to it shall we?

Ingredients

1.5 pounds ground turkey

1 28-oz can Tomato Puree

1 14.5-oz can  fire roasted diced tomatoes

6-10 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade cut

**fresh oregano and thyme 

2 rounded tablespoons dry Italian seasoning

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

salt and pepper

2 rounded tablespoons Paprika

3 sloppy tablespoons red wine vinegar

1 small red onion, finely chopped

3 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped

1 box lasagna noodles, ready-use or need to boil.  You will probably need 12 noodles. 

1 14-oz container ricotta cheese (low fat)

1 large bag shredded low fat or skim milk mozzarella cheese

1 cup parmesan cheese


In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the extra virgin olive oil.  When the oil begins to ripple, add the turkey.  Add a good 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper, each, and break it up with a wooden spoon and brown the turkey.  It happens quickly, about four minutes.  Add the onions and garlic, the dry seasoning,  fully browned or not, and let cook until the onion starts to look a bit translucent. Add the tomato products and combine well.  Save the smaller tomato can and fill half way with water.  



Add the water in the can and bring the mixture to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 - 45 minutes. 

As the sauce cooks, meanwhile, bring at least 4 - 6 quarts of water to a boil.  Liberally salt the water when it comes to a roiling boil.  It's the only chance you get to season the pasta. Add the pasta and try to separate them and keep them moving so as to prevent sticking. 



When finished, about 12 minutes, remove them or, use a spider to remove them one or two at a time from the pot when you are ready.  At this writing and meal prep, I did not have such utensils, so I used my colander and worked fast.  The procedure is as varied as peoples eye or hair color.  People put it together whichever way they prefer, BUT, if you have a Nonna in your life, it goes together the way She says to put it together, am I right?  

I add a little sauce to the bottom of the pan.  This was a bit extra big and I used a large foil pan as it was feeding four people multiple days. I lay noodles atop that, needing four noodles to this sized foil pan.  Most in home baking pans will require three noodles.  I add small globs of ricotta spread it around with my spoon.  I add some of the fresh oregano and basil atop of the noodles.  I generously add mozzarella atop the sauce.  Four more noodles, ricotta, sauce and fresh herbs, and repeat and repeat one last time until every bit of the turkey sauce is utilized.  Cover the top with mozzarella and parmesan, drizzled lightly with evoo.  



Repeat the process until there is nothing left but mozzarella to place on top.  



Bake for 45 minutes at 350-degrees. 



Your nose will tell you when it is done. There is no escape the aroma of a perfect lasagna, the sides bubbling, the top golden brown, the herbs hot and aromatic.  



Let the pan sit to set (allowing the cheeses to congeal) for about ten or so minutes.  Then cut and serve as you please.  


I want to Thank You (Grazi!) for sticking with the.  It has been forever since my last recipe blog.  I have posted dishes (not blogged) on my humble blog's facebook page, but I am determined to write much more this week.  Please stay tuned, and again, Grazi for sticking with me, friends!  


~Martin

In-House Cook

















No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...