Friday, April 24, 2020

Country Style Pork Rib Tacos





Country Style Pork Rib Tacos

I fully enjoy exploring different types of proteins, meats, for different uses.  I am going to be making duck breast tacos  and bison tacos before long.  I had duck tacos in Ensenada, Mexico and that was the tastiest taco I have ever had.  Never thought I'd like duck, but, I do.  I love bison, too!  I have made bison burgers and chili and I love the sweetness of it.  I am even thinking about making deer tacos, but, I have had "Indian" deer tacos before, and it, too, was delicious, roasted in an underground fire pit.  That was amazing!

I bird-walked and now I am drooling.  Let's get back to our pork country rib tacos.  Most people use country style pork ribs for bbq.  The ribs have no bones and they are thick rectangular cuts of fairly lean meat with good fat marbleization.  (I don't know if that is really a word; beware, I may have just made up a word).  Most people steam or boil them first, then roast them in the slathered in sauce.  I did that a week or two ago.  See my recent two blog posts! Thanks!

Here's how to make flavorful tacos with minimum ingredients.  I cannot say this is a fast one, as it takes upwards of two hours, so, while you are under the stay in place ordinance, sounds like an opportune time to do this!  

Note:  My way is rather old fashioned, but for a reason.  Yes, I do have a slow cooker and you certainly Can you use that, but I prefer to do it my way.  You alter this however you need or want to in order to fit your life and schedule.  

Ingredients

1 - 2 pounds of whole or chopped pork country style ribs
1 large Mexican beer (I used Corona)
1 large container salsa of your choice 
3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
1 large onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, smashed (they fall apart)
1 package of your favorite taco seasoning or, my Mexican spice blend, four tablespoons, halved 2 and 2 tbspn
My Mexican Spice Blend:
3 tablespoons Smoked Paprika
2 tablespoons Pasilla or Chile Molida powder
2 tablespoon granulated garlic
2 tablespoons granulated onion
1 tablespoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 tablespoon coriander seed
salt and pepper

2 dried Chile Ancho pods
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons of Chipotle in Adobo
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil 
2 tabs of butter
2 cups of water + 2 cups 

In a large pot over high heat, add the pork, two cups of water, salt and pepper.  When the water boils, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for thirty (30) minutes. 

Next, in the same pot, perhaps.........

In a large pot over medium high heat, add the oil and the butter.  When the oil begins to ripple and the butter foams, coat the bottom of the pot well and add the meat.  Add salt and pepper and let the meat sear until a nice golden crust begins to form.  Use a large wooden spoon the turn the meat as it forms its crust. 


Add two tablespoons of the spice mix while the meat browns. 


Add the chipotle in adobo, onion and smashed garlic, and the chile ancho pods, whole. 

Finally, add half of the fresh cilantro.  

Now, add the beer and stir as it foams up and then down. Add the other half of the spice mixture and salsa and completely combine all of the ingredients.  Add the apple cider vinegar and water and vigorously stir. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and allow to simmer for 45 minutes to one hour.  The meat will be so tender it will begin to fall apart, which is perfect.  Drain the fat, if possible and use a slotted spoon to serve your tacos, whether on original street taco tortillas or fried or simply room temp flour tortillas, whatever you like best!  Be sure to garnish with the remaining fresh cilantro! You can fish out the chile pods, but they might also fall apart, too, being reconstituted. 





With that, I Thank You for your visit and I hope you enjoyed this recipe.  If you make it, drop me a line here, on Twitter @inhousecook1 or on facebook at In-House Cook!  

Now, Go Cook Something For Someone You Love!  Make it a taco night!  

~Martin
In-House Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry Over Noodles

  One Skillet Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry      Over Noodles This is one of those "people who know me Know I am obsessed over Chinese food&q...